The Corporation E-file program provides the following:
- Electronic filing for the Louisiana corporation income and franchise tax return with the federal income tax return in a single electronic transmission.
- Electronic filing for the Louisiana corporation income and franchise tax return alone.
- Single point User Authentication by IRS.
- Ability to submit schedules and documentation as PDF attachments.
- Ability to file a Louisiana corporation income and franchise tax return for any member of a consolidated group.
- Ability to file electronically a CIFT-620, including amended return and short period returns.
- Option to direct debit if there is a balance due.
Corporation E-file Process
- Federal and state tax returns are transmitted through a secure Internet site accessible only to registered users using Extensible Markup Language (XML) technology.
- Federal and state returns are either transmitted together in a single submission or in separate submissions.
- IRS will forward Louisiana returns to LDR for processing. LDR will return acknowledgements back to IRS, where they can be picked up by transmitters.
- Each return acknowledged separately.
- Submissions and acknowledgements will be returned in XML format.
Electronic Filing Mandate
Revised Statute 47:1520 authorizes the secretary the discretion to require electronic filing of tax returns or reports by administrative rule. Louisiana Administrative Code (LAC) 61:III.1503 and 1505 were promulgated to require the electronic filing of the corporation income and franchise tax return (Form CIFT-620). Taxpayers are required to file the return electronically for income (franchise) tax periods beginning:
1/1/2018 (1/1/2019) - if their total assets have an absolute value equal to or greater than $500,000.
1/1/2019 (1/1/2020)- if their total assets have an absolute value equal to or greater than $250,000.