BATON ROUGE – Families getting ready to send their kids back to school can save money during the 2015 Louisiana Annual Sales Tax Holiday Friday, August 7 and Saturday, August 8. During these two days, most retail purchases are exempt from the four percent state sales tax.
The sales tax holiday exempts the first $2500 of the purchase price of each eligible item when the customer:
· Buys and accepts delivery of eligible property;
· Places property on layaway;
· Acquires property that was previously placed on layaway; or
· Places an order for immediate delivery, even if the delivery must be delayed, provided the customer has not requested delayed delivery
The sales tax holiday applies only to the four percent state sales tax. Local sales taxes apply to purchases unless the local taxing authority creates its own exemption.
The sales tax holiday does not apply to:
· Vehicles subject to title and license
· Meals prepared for consumption on premises or to-go; and
· Taxable services such as hotel occupancy, laundry services, printing services, telecommunication services, the furnishing of cold storage space, leases or rentals of tangible personal property, repairs to tangible personal property, and admission to athletic, amusement, or recreational facilities or events
Visit www.revenue.louisiana.gov/taxholiday for a full explanation of conditions of the 2015 Louisiana Annual Sales Tax Holiday.
Back-to-School Tax Deductions
The Louisiana Department of Revenue reminds shoppers to retain receipts for back-to-school items such as supplies, uniforms, and equipment required by schools. These purchases may qualify for tax deductions on 2015 Louisiana Individual Income Tax Returns due May 15, 2016. The deductions apply to educational expenses for public, private, parochial, and home schools. To claim the deductions, you must be able to claim the student as a dependent on your state individual income tax return, and you must be able to provide documentation for the expenses.
For more information about the Louisiana School Tuition and Expense Tax Deductions, visit www.revenue.louisiana.gov/schooldeduction.